Friday, October 18, 2013

A brick utility building..........

David and I try hard to have as much one on one time with our kids as we can. With seven kids we have to be pretty creative with how to make this happen and tonight was one of those nights for me. I had the great joy of having some one on one time with Garrett. Garrett needed a  jacket and so the two of us headed out to do a little shopping.

We had only been in the car a few minutes when we passed by a brick utility building not far from our house. It is somewhere I pass by daily and I had never even noticed this small building. As we passed by Garrett says to me, "Mom, It is kind of hard for me to understand somethings." I questioned what he meant. He said, "You know like when I see a brick building  like that one that really is used for nothing (as he pointed at this utility building) or when I see a dog house or barn it makes me kind of sad. There are people living in nothing and then I see this. It kind of makes my heart feel bad."

I was quiet for a few minutes as I tried once again to hold back my tears. I wasn't really sure what to say but I gently said, "Garrett, I am so sorry that this makes you heart hurt. It actually should make everyones heart hurt. I know that you remember living in a grass hut and I am sure when you see those kinds of buildings that are for wires or animals it makes you feel sad that people live in less. Does that remind of your family?" He answered, "Yes, it makes me sad to think about how much is wasted here and how people don't even think about others in need. People here just always want more and more."

I wish that everyone I knew could spend some one one one time with Garrett- If so our world would be a different place! God, Help me to have a heart of compassion like his-


  

No comments:

Post a Comment