Thursday, September 30, 2010

Do You Know.......

I took Megan and Kaylee to the orthodontist this past week and as they were called back for their appointments an older man starting talking with me. He was saying that it must be hard for me to have two teenage daughters in one home and how it was hard enough having one teenage granddaughter. He then went on to ask how many children I have. When I responded that I have six children he ask me a question that I dislike but it made me stop and think in a way I never had.........."Do you know what causes that?"

When we had just four children I would laugh, say yes and be on my way when someone would ask this question but that is not what happened last Thursday. Instead out of my mouth came, "Yes, I do. It is caused by God's Spirit stirring in my heart." He had no response and quickly picked up a magazine and said not another word to me. I am sure he was not expecting that response from me and he will probably think twice before ever asking that question again.

As we sat there in the somewhat awkward silence I started to think about the words that I had just spoken. I thought about the fact that God had stirred in my heart to care for those who are fatherless several years ago and when He did I was willing and said yes to His stirring. I thought about other times in my life where He was stirring and I said no or not now. What sweet blessings I was sure to have missed by not allowing His stirring to make His wanted changes in my life. Missed friendships, missed opportunities, missed times of joy, and the list could go on and on of things that I have missed out on by saying no or not right now.

What is God stirring in your heart? Are you willing and saying yes or saying no? Don't miss out on His best by settling for your good-

The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with ALL my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with JOY. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you so much! I've been following you for a couple weeks now (over from a friend's blog). I don't know how many times people have made that same snarky remark to me(I have 4 children). We are finally saying "yes"! Applying to adopt domestically, due to that same "stirring" you have. I feel so utterly blessed that God has chosen our family as a place for those who are orphans to "land" so that we can become a part of their lives. What an awesome priviledge. You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete