Sunday, June 2, 2013

And the very hairs on your head are all numbered............

Time after time I am amazed by God's goodness. It looks like after years of Him caring for me I would not be surprised  by His deep and personal love for me. The past few weeks in a very real way I have learned again what it is like for God to know me, love me and provide for me in a deep and personal way. I have hesitated writing this blog but I was reminded today looking at a photo of two precious orphans who this week have a home, that when we share God's story lived out in us God can use it to change the hearts and lives of others and so I will share how God has loved me so personally the past few days.

The past few years have been a huge change for our family adding three children in less than two and a half years. When a family goes from a family to six to a family of nine many sacrifices are made. Thankfully we have all willingly made the adjustments and sacrifices for our family to grow and God has blessed us on this journey. Just when we got use to adding two children God pressed in on us to add another and in our family we knew that this addition would mean more sacrifice for each of us. Emotionally, physically, and financially we knew as a family when Lemi came home life would adjust once again. We were all eight willing and the sacrifices looked different for each of us.

This is not a woe is me and I would never want it to sound that way but financially having a family of nine on a pastor's salary doesn't really make sense or add up. I knew that when our family grew to nine I was going to have to once again figure out where we could make some changes financially for our family. There were several  areas we knew we needed to cut back.

One day while in the car I remember very clearly knowing that a sacrifice that I needed to make was the money that I spent on having my hair cut. I remember a small wrestling with God because when Tia and Garrett came home I made a choice to find someone who could cut my hair cheaper than my favorite guy (still miss you JD).   This day in the car I remember feeling that God was asking me to sacrifice having my hair done at all. I reminded God that day that my hair is a real mess if it is not taken care of well. I reminded Him that when He made me He gave me a TON of hair. I also reminded Him that I had already found someone cheaper and I was spreading the appointments way out. I know it seems somewhat weird but in my car that day I told God that I would trust Him and that when Lemi came home I would give up hair cuts and color.  I knew that this is what He was asking me to sacrifice.

Several weeks ago I got a note from a distant friend online that I had been entered into a Mother's Day contest at Valeria spa where I could raise money for a charity of my choice and if I raised the most money the spa would match the giving up to $2500. I knew right away that Garrett's Heart would be my charity and I went to work trying to raise some funding to help our extended family and friends on the island. Long story short in just a few days more than $4500 was raised. I won the contest and over $7,000 was donated to Garrett's heart. I was once again blown away by God's goodness to provide for those we love so much in Ethiopia.

Along with the $2500 given by the spa to the winning charity, the spa was also giving $500 a month in spa services to the Mother's Day winner for eight months in a row. I literally found myself weeping that for eight months not only had God provided as many hair cuts as I want but free shampoo, conditioner, manicures, pedicures, and anything else that is available at a spa. I went last week for the first haircut that I have had in months and sat crying as she was cutting my hair. I shared with the hairdresser my story. The story of a God that loves me beyond anything that I can actually comprehend. A God that sees the sacrifice of a mom and provides so much more than she deserves. A God that created my heart and knew that I was more than willing to sacrifice whatever He was asking of me to provide a home for our son. Did God owe me anything for my sacrifice? Absolutely not! Does He love me with a love more abundant than I can understand? Yes! I am still amazed that the smallest details of my life He cares about. He provided more than I could have ever dreamed or even imagined.

What is He asking you to sacrifice? Don't miss out on what He has ahead for you by holding on to what you think is important- Our God can do more than you can comprehend when you follow Him.

 "What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. 30 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows." Matthew 10

No comments:

Post a Comment