Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Relaxed to Rushed with one phone call......

Here we go.......I am so unsure of how to put into words what my heart feels, but here it is-
I will start by saying that I know that God's timing is always best, and as I share what has unfolded in the life of our family the last two days you will quickly know why I am continually reminding myself of this over and over and over again!

David and I went away last week to celebrate 20 years of marriage. While we were away we received a family changing phone call. As most of you are aware, we have started the process to bring another son into our family and his name is Lemme. Prior to leaving on this trip we received word from our adoption agency that court would be closing soon for the rainy season (2-3 months typically). We were told not to expect to be able to have Lemme home with us until at least Christmas and that would be only if we were one of the first families to be in court after they reopen from the rainy season.

This information all changed last Friday when our agency left a message on my phone (that I received on Sunday afternoon) stating that he was ready to be adopted.  They told us that they feel very confident we will be in court prior to court closing on August 7th.  AUGUST 7th..........Like less than a month away! David and I rejoiced in the lobby of the hotel at the news that we could have another child in a months time, yet the thought was overwhelming and unexpected. We were both in shock and we both shook our heads in disbelief as we called back to find out more details from our agency.

Here is where I am unsure of what to write or how to write- We are ready in so many ways for Garrett to have his friend become his brother, we know that God has called us to be Lemme's parents, our paperwork is in order (a HUGE thank you to Paula for gathering the last minute papers on Monday for us while we were away), but we only lack one thing- the money to move forward. We have been given and/or have less than one third of what will actually be needed to move forward with this adoption in the time frame that we have been given. Literally we need to have $1,000.00 a day given the next few weeks to make this adoption a reality. There is no way that we can do this without God placing it on the hearts of others to help our family bring Lemme home. We have been here before and He provided every penny of the thousands of dollars that were needed and I know that in His time He will do that again. To be very specific (although we will know exactly tomorrow) we have around $15,000 and we will need around  $38,000-$40,000 to make this adoption complete including traveling  twice to Ethiopia, paperwork (pre and post adoption) and the general fee's that come along with adopting. This amount of money is staggering to me I must admit. It literally takes my breath away to think of the mountain ahead. I have been awake the last few nights quoting scripture in my head reminding myself not to worry or be anxious.

The unexpected speed in which this is happening has caught us (but not God) off guard. We had plans to apply for and receive several grants like we did when we adopted Tia and Garrett yet this time there is simply not time. All of the adoption grants that we were awarded last time must be granted prior to the completion of the adoption and with 3-4 weeks until we could be in court it would be a huge God thing to even get one grant yet we will spend the end of this week applying for them. Usually with grants it takes several months to hear if you were awarded a grant and months we do not have.

Many of you have inquired how you could help us financially when we stepped into bringing Lemme home and we have told you to wait until we are sure- Now we are sure! If you feel led to give please make the check out to University City Fellowship and put Henderson Adoption in the memo line and mail to 4351 Main Street, Suite 207 Harrisburg, NC 28075 or feel free to send a check written out to us and mail to 7944 Woodmere Drive Harrisburg, NC 28075. If you would send us a quick e-mail ( to let us know if you have sent a check so that we can keep track of how much more we need that would be helpful the next few days.

More that asking for you to play a part financially we are asking that you pray for us. For peace in our hearts as we trust Him completely. We know that He has led us to this and we know that somehow He will provide all that is needed in His time.  Many times the last two days I have thought why not just wait until after the rainy season and not rush this- We could have everything in order and not have to write a blog such as this and then I think about a young boy going to bed alone tonight just hoping that one day he will have a family to call his own. I certainly don't want months of nights like tonight to pass if there is any way to get him home sooner where he can have a mom and dad to love him.

So there it is- I have to laugh because in His perfect time we were returning from a trip that we would have never taken had the phone call come earlier. I am so thankful for the week away last week as I look ahead and see our family growing to 9- God knew that we needed a little time to not only celebrate 20 great years but we needed a little rest to get ready for what He has in store for us the next few weeks or months. We will keep you up to date on all that He is doing as we trust Him and walk into the unknown of the next few days- Please join us in praying that God would do the impossible as we step out in faith to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I will be sending a check this weekend. I am SO HAPPY to read this! Praise the Lord, He is able!